Tuesday, November 6, 2007

It's cold

How is it that only one month ago I was sleeping on top of my blankets with a fan on in the room and taking cold showers because of the heat? Was that really the same country? How did it get so cold so fast? Not only did it get cold, but it went from super humid to super dry, and everyone at school caught colds, including me. It's no wonder the Japanese are obsessed with the fact that their country has four seasons. If you don't watch out, the seasons will sneak up and attack you.
My bedroom is especially cold, probably around a balmy 60 degrees. I wear my warmest jacket all the time. I asked my host mom if they use a heater in the winter.
"Yes we do," she said, and I sighed with relief. Then she said, "I just haven't made the preparations yet."
I have no idea what she's talking about. Gather firewood from the mountainside, maybe? Put oil in the lamps? Hire workers for the boiler room? Set the hamster on it's wheel? Whatever these preparations are, I hope she does it soon!

Also, my host family is driving me crazy with their constant bickering. School has also loaded a whole lot of homework on us poor students at the same time, and I'm starting to fall asleep on the train regularly.

Good thing I have Engrish to cheer me up.

5 comments:

Appendage said...

Nothing wrong with you that a serious amount of quality time with a good blanket, French toast, and parental dotage wouldn't cure.

People like to brag about "seasons". Personally, I think they're overrated. If seasons are so great, why do people typically apply the word "paradise" to seasonless places like Hawaii? Huh? Bragging about seasons is nothing more than a coping mechanism for those who can't escape their miserable, relentless grip.

Mo2 said...

My poor, poor, freezing Baby! Here's a nice warm hug from Mommy:

HUG-HUG-HUG-HUG

Just think, when you get home to sunny California it'll be around 30 degrees!

Anonymous said...

MMMMM... Creamy Powder. My absolute favorite!

Be sure to keep an eye out for "Shikano Fun Choco Drops". You will see.. You will see..

Doug said...

Weather is a fickle and harsh mistress.

Anonymous said...

I demanded a floor-space heater, when I was there through winter. Kinda like this moment here, as a matter of fact, as I havenot turned on the heater..yet.
"This too shall pass away..."
Aunt janet