Saturday, November 10, 2007

Gelato and Guinea Pigs

Today I took a wrong turn and ended up in Italy. Confused? Yeah, so was I. I was under the impression that Italy was kind of far from here.


Still, I decided to make the best of it and have some "Pumpkin Milk" gelato, which was DELICIOUS. Being alone, I also asked a random stranger to take a picture of me and the gelato, using my newly-learned extra-polite Japanese. Go me!

The place was pretty cool. All the signs were in Italian and there were many shops selling imported Italian goods and Venetian masks and things. A wedding was going on in an "old Italian chapel," and tables and chairs were set next to the canal for the reception. I thought that was a pretty fun place to have your wedding. Maybe a little cheesy, but still fun.

Actually I had gone to Nagoya Port to spend my afternoon and see the ocean, without knowing that "Italy Village" was there. At the pier about two hundred people were waiting in line to tour this big ship. Later I told my host parents about this and asked if the ship was old or famous or something, because the line must have been at least an hour long. "No, it's not famous. Japanese people just like standing in line," my host dad said.

There was a park at the port, shops, restaurants and a petting zoo. I wandered around taking pictures and exploring.

I spent a lot of time at the petting zoo, watching the rabbits and the guinea pigs run around together. Here's a picture of a little boy being attacked by a rabid guinea pig. Man I love this picture.

It was a good day. Maybe it wasn't as exciting as my friends who are going to Kyoto and various places this weekend, but still it was a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It really doesn't get any better than rabid guinea pigs!

I love the pictures of 'Little Italy'. I didn't know that such a thing existed there.