Monday, November 12, 2007

Adapting to the culture

I'm trying hard to adapt to Japanese culture. Really I am. I even count with my fingers by tucking my thumb in first, like the Japanese do. I eat soy sauce mochi wrapped in seaweed for dessert. With chopsticks. I compliment everyone who can speak the least bit of English. I bow to people I pass by. Here are some last remains of gaijinness I refuse to give up:

1. I refuse to use Japanese-style toilets.
2. I refuse to eat takoyaki. (fried octopus tentacle)
3. I refuse to stop drinking while walking.

As for the last one, in Japanese culture class in America we were taught that it is rude to eat or drink while walking in Japan. I try to be sensitive to this, but sometimes I just don't care. I must satisfy the urge to grab a latte and sip it while on the way to somewhere. What do they expect me to do, sit down and enjoy my drink? Not going to happen. I'm an American, darnit. I don't have the time.
Maybe I'll tell them that in America, drinking while walking is a sign of prestige. And if they remind me that this isn't America, it's Japan, I'll look confused and say, "Oh no! When did that happen?"

1 comment:

Candice said...

I think some of the younger generation's getting around to stopping the "no drinking while walking" trend over there. There were a few times when I left a conbini and saw a group of friends or a couple drinking something while walking somewhere. Of course, I could be wrong. ;\