Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Pictures and words

Today I was sitting in the lobby of a campus building when two Japanese students walked up and started a conversation with me. At first I was suspicious: they must be trying to get me to sign up for something. And although I found out later that they were part of an international coffee night thing, they never tried to pitch it to me as I was expecting. They just wanted to meet foreign students. I enjoyed talking with them very much, as they spoke in short easy sentences but didn't baby-talk me like my host father tends to do. We went to the supermarket and got lunch together. If speech is kept simple and said at a fairly slow pace, I'm able to talk in Japanese fairly well. There was one time where a Japanese girl was asking me if I had ever taken the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test. "TOEFL" is kind of a difficult word to pronounce for a Japanese speaker, so when the girl said it I thought she said "tofu." So we had this awkward conversation in Japanese:
Japanese girl: Have you ever taken the TOEFL?
Me: Oh yes, I ate it.
Japanese girl: ....you ate it?
Me: I...um...I have eaten it.
Japanese girl: You ate the TOEFL?
Me: Um...er...it was eaten by me?
It took a fellow exchange student to sort out the miscommunication. It was kind of embarrassing.

I have more pictures!!!
Here's one of the policemen on a pedestal I was talking about earlier. Sorry it's a bad picture- I was trying to take it without drawing attention.

My mom made okonamiyaki for dinner! It was delicious!


4 comments:

Mo2 said...

Thanks for taking the trouble to post pictures. The Engrish ones really make my day!

I'm proud of how you're managing the language.Go, Bean!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Way to go Bean!! Do they acknowledge the 9/11 anniversary there at all? Unkle Mikeee

Kelley said...

Yeah, there was an article in the newspaper and I believe some stuff on TV about 9/11, but since I can't read the newspaper and I don't watch TV much, I'm afraid I can't tell you what they said about it.

Anonymous said...

Their "water" is quite milky...

And as for the hat.. but what? I'm dying of suspense here.