Saturday, September 15, 2007

K for Kimono

Awww, look at me enjoying my green tea ice cream. I'm so cute.

My host mom was surprised when she heard that my plans for the day were to go shopping with friends in the neighboring town, which is not a particularly interesting or touristy place. What she doesn't realize is that to my fellow exchange students and I, everything is interesting. The local 100-yen shop will keep our attention just as long as a castle. So off to the little shopping center we went, and spent the day there examining the interesting products Japan has to offer, taking pictures of almost everything and pointing out funny Engrish to each other. Here's one of the streets we walked on.

I found my way into a kimono shop and was drooling over the gorgeous silk kimonos hanging up on display. One of the shop attendants, a very tall young man dressed in traditional Japanese clothing, started up a conversation with me. Another shop attendant, a middle-aged woman, came over and suggested/commanded that I try on a kimono.
"What color would look good on her?" She asked the young man.
"Pink." He decided.
They found a beautiful pink kimono and white obi and the woman dressed me up in it, tying an elaborate bow in the back with expert moves. A couple other customers were watching her do it and smiling with approval. Boy were my friends surprised when they wandered into the kimono shop and saw me there all dressed up.

I know exactly what you're thinking: "Kelley looks so amazing in that kimono, I want to buy it for her for Christmas." Unfortunately, I'm not sure how much the kimono was, (and didn't want to ask, lest the shop attendants think I intended to buy it), but it was probably about $500, and the obi about $300. Sigh. They had polyester kimonos for a good price, but they weren't quite as gorgeous as this one.

On the way home we spotted this oddity. If you didn't know, Japanese vending machines sell beer and cigarettes. This decrepit, rusty vending machine apparently sells kegs of beer. Yes, it's a beer keg vending machine. Do they not worry about underage drinking here?


It was a great day for Engrish hunting, too.

Mmm, I smell curry cooking for dinner!

4 comments:

Appendage said...

That street looks like something from Shenmue. Do you know anyplace where sailors hang out?

Mo2 said...

Oooo, I want to buy that Kimono SOOOO badly!....but, we just bought you a big dress.

Appendage said...

You are the reason God made pink.

Kristin Deasy said...

I dig the pictures. What are you using the embed them? I'm shamelessly ripping your keen blogging skills from you here. Just in case you didn't notice.