Wednesday, December 19, 2007

You can never have too many of these

Every time my host grandmother goes on a trip she brings back little souvenirs for everyone. This evening she came by with a bag full of souvenir goodness, wherein I received this little marvel: a cellphone charm daruma.
But wait, there's more. When tilted forwards the daruma's eyes pop out. I think my host grandmother was saying something about this meaning your wish has been granted. Okay, but it still looks downright freaky. Furthermore, when you hold the daruma up to the light and look through the middle, you can see the image of a Buddha with the words "Good Fortune" and "Safety in Traffic."
Plus it comes with a tiny jingle bell.
Probably the most random, crazy gift I've ever been given.

4 comments:

Mo2 said...

LOL! That's too cool! But I thought Daruma was a story about Jim Elliot...

Mo2 said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayuma

Appendage said...

"Safety in traffic"- words to live by.

Anonymous said...

that is cool!!! Glad you'll be home soon!