I have been riding the train for two hours every weekday ever since I got to Japan 4 months ago. And today for the first time a random person on the train started talking to me. A businessman wearing a sick mask (people do that here when they have a cold) sat down next to me and noticed that I was practicing kanji.
"Wow, you're studying very hard, aren't you?" he said.
I was very surprised, and delighted too that someone was being friendly.
"It's because I have a test today," I said.
"Well, do your best! How long have you been studying?"
"Three years."
"Wow, that's amazing. Where are you from?"
So we had a short little conversation before he opened up his newspaper and left me to my studying. When he left the train he gave me a thumbs up sign. It pretty much made my day. While people-watching on the train I've often wished that I could chat with them, since I'm interested in everyone here. But it seems like the Japanese just don't start up conversations with strangers much- particularly with gaijin. Sometimes I've seen people sneak glances at my homework as I study on the train, but when I look at them they always shift their eyes quickly. One time a high school boy sitting next to me was working on English homework, and I really wanted to volunteer to help him out, but was afraid that I might come off too weird since no one else does it.
In fact, the train is often extremely quiet. And for some reason, the degree of quietness is directly proportional to the degree of crowdedness on the train. So we'll just be chugging along, squished together like sardines, in complete silence. It's like how no one talks in a crowded elevator.
Time to take that kanji final!
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Good Luck!
I'm gonna have to look up sick mask on the internet.
I have now studied the sick mask. At first I thought it was going to be like a masquerade mask that sick people wear, and it is a frowny face or something. But no, it is much less natural than that.
Post a Comment