Saturday, November 24, 2007

Plastic food

Yesterday I went on a field trip to Guyo-Hachiman with Japanese and exchange students. We did various things, including going to a plastic food factory! Japanese restaurants often display plastic replicas of their menu items in their store windows. These aren't your childhood plastic food toys. This is the real deal. You can see pictures and read about it a little here.

We were given a little demonstation and allowed to make some plastic food ourselves! One of the employees took a spoonful of melted something (probably wax) and slowly dripped it into a tub of hot water. The wax hardened slightly and took on a sort of crumbly shape, and the employee carefully wrapped it around a plastic shrimp. Voila. Tempura shrimp.

We made our own tempura shrimp, and also a head of lettuce and got to take home both!


My completed items, which greatly amused my host family.


There was sort of a display room of plastic food dishes, all looking delicious. I bought some presents too. It was a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelley! For whatever reason, it totally failed to register in my head that you were in Japan! I knew you were going in August, but gosh- it's November now, so surely she's still in good old California... yes, well, I figured it out now. Oh my gosh, I just sat down and read all your blogs in one sitting... hehe, they were helarious! Whiney and Oragami Boy keep me smiling, though I'm sure they're probably a pain in the butt. Reading about all that crazy cross cultural stuff I'd never even consider is really fun! Hopefully I'll visit your site a little more regularly now that I've figured out you're halfway 'round the world. Talk to you later!
Jess

Kelley said...

Hey Jessica! I'm so glad to hear from you! I heard that a letter arrived for you at my home in America, but it hasn't been forwarded to me yet. I'm sorry I haven't been in contact, but I've been thinking of you!