One of the old ladies at church has adopted me. It started one morning after church when she randomly came up to me and gave me a hug.
"Oh my gosh, that's the first hug I've had since I came here two months ago!" I said. And it's true. Hugging is sort of an American thing, I think. I've barely even seen anyone hug anyone since I got there. When girls meet each other, they don't hug, they sort of...touch hands. It's weird.
"Really? Oh you poor thing." She said, and gave me about three more hugs. Now every Sunday she makes sure I don't leave church without a hug. I feel bad that I can't remember her name.
A little boy, about three years old, saw her hugging me and ran up and gave me a hug too. That really surprised me. I said to the old lady,
"Usually Japanese children seem to be afraid of me."
"Oh really?" She said. "Not this one though."
"Yeah, I'm strong and powerful!!" The little boy said, and flexed his arms. It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Boy oh boy did I want to scoop him up and take him home with me.
Sunday, November 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Kelley...what did I tell you about kidnapping little boys.
*shakes his head*
What am I going to do with you?
Aw... that's so sweet. I'd want to take that little boy home with me, too. haha :)
From my experiences they don't hug in England either. If they do anything its the kiss on the cheek thing.
Hugs totally win though.
I agree with you, Robert. The kiss on the cheek thing is weird.
Post a Comment