This evening some fellow exchange students, who are with a different program than I am, got to see Aida in Nagoya. I am so jealous.
Another lovely family dinner.
I don't know why, but Host Mom was in a really bad mood. She was scolding her sons right and left in that growly voice she uses when she's really angry.
Whiney and Origami Boy, on the other hand, were in very high spirits and found everything hysterically funny. I don't know why. Even the head slaps they received couldn't stop the giggling.
Host Dad was trying his very hardest not to laugh at whatever the boys were laughing at.
When Host Mom is really upset, she seems to find things to scold her family for. And when she scolds people, she talks super fast so I have no idea what was said, although it's not hard to guess. This was the only part of the dinner conversation I understood:
Host Mom: Papa, why do you eat so quickly? Everyone else is eating slowly and you're finished before all of us.
Whiney: Yeah Dad, you eat like a shinkansen! (a bullet train)
As dinner progressed Origami Boy and Whiney's snickering was sending corn kernels across their plates and milk up their nose. And every time another potsticker fell to peices from their grinning mouths, to them it was so much the funnier. Host Dad, still trying not to laugh, cleaned off his plate and went outside to work on the car. I could tell that Host Mom was about to snap. Finally Whiney's hysterical laughing with his mouth full of half-eaten rice did the trick, and she grabbed him and dragged him literally kicking and screaming through the house, shoved him outside and locked the door. She turned to see me and Origami Boy watching with astonishment.
"Sorry about that Kelley," she said. "His manners were so rude."
I wonder if she wouldn't have reactly so harshly if I hadn't been there to make his bad manners more embarrassing.
Origami Boy was about to head towards the front door when his mom snapped,
"Don't even THINK about going outside!" She said it so fiercely that Origami Boy actually jumped and backed off. Later they had a hard time getting Whiney to come back in the house because he knew his Mom was going to slap him, which she did.
How was your evening?
Saturday, October 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe you should reassure Host Mom that you grew up with two brothers who would shoot milk out their noses at the mention of the word "potty".
Welcome to the domestic desert of the real. It is found in every corner of the globe. And it's not the fault of global warming.
My evening was calm, thanks very much :)
Wow, wow, wow. Was this what you were talking about on sunday? I never imagined it was this bad. This family situation must be very stressful for you. This should not something you need to face in a host family. I feel sorry for you... If you ever want to runaway from them, you can always some and stay at my house. Haha, but I'm serious!
Thank you Saki. That makes me feel better. :) I'm glad I have a good friend here in Nagoya. ^^
Post a Comment