Monday, October 8, 2007

Love Hotels and Ii Naosuke's Castle

On Sunday a Japanese friend, Saki, took two other American exchange students and myself out to Hikone Castle. It was an hour and a half drive, but everyone had so much to talk about that it went by quickly. On the way there we passed some strange-looking buildings.
Me: What is that?
Saki: That's a hotel for...um...a very specific purpose...
Me: Oh my gosh, is that a love hotel??! I need pictures!!
"Love Hotels" are a Japanese phenomenon (at least as far as I know) where you rent rooms by the hour. One of my goals when going to Japan was to get a picture of at least one. Be sure to read the signs on the one with the palm trees.


You've probably seen enough pictures of castles from me, so I'll spare you any more. Hikone castle was beautiful, but since it was the castle's 400-year anniversary, it was super super crowded. I enjoyed the old garden much more. It was really beautiful and peaceful. If I could buy it and live there forever, I would.

Notice the castle in the background!

I'm happy with the way this picture came out:

There was a ferry on the castle moat, and this amazing leafy swamp was behind the castle garden.

It was a really fun day, mostly because the people I went with were totally awesome. I pretty much live for the weekend here.

3 comments:

Appendage said...

I wonder how often they clean the rooms.

Anonymous said...

You know why it was so difficult to talk about the hotels? It's because there was my little sister next to me! I had some stories to tell, but I didn't want to talk infront of her.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you had fun too! I really enjoyed myself:) Let's go out again soon!!

Jasson McMorris said...

sounds tempting...