Monday, February 25, 2008

My date with an old Japanese guy

Just to warn you, my blogs aren't going in my chronological order anymore, because I'm just writing about memories as they come to me.

When I first arrived in Tokyo, my friend Pearl was actually gone for a few days, and so her mom met me. I had met her mom once when Pearl and I were roommates in the U.S. Having a daughter my age, Pearl's mom treated me as her own daughter, and took it upon herself to take very good care of me, and made sure I was well-fed, well-rested, and well-entertained. She was eager to make sure I wasn't bored in their little apartment, and was always offering to take me anywhere I wanted. I think she was surprised when I said that actually, I was really tired and just wanted to sleep.
One day Pearl's mom had to spend the day at work, and so she arranged for a friend of their family, Mr. Sakamoto, to take me around Tokyo.
"Have you known Mr. Sakamoto for a long time?" I asked.
"Oh yes Kelley, he's a very good man. I wouldn't hand you over to anyone who wasn't completely trustworthy!" She said.
Mr. Sakamoto was fifty-nine years old, and about an inch shorter than I am. Although I soon found out that he spoke pretty good English, he seemed relieved that I could speak Japanese. He said that we were going to go to some museums and stuff. So I'm going to spend the day running around Tokyo with this old guy.


Okay. Sho ga nai.

I believe the first place we went to was called Asakusa. It was very very crowded. There was a very large temple, where a long street of market stalls sold touristy stuff, "Ichiban" t-shirts, cheap kimonos, daruma, paper fans, and the like. I wish I had had more time to look through them, but it wasn't long before it became apparent that Mr. Sakamoto had ADHD. He zipped around from place to place, briefly stopping to explain interesting points to me before rushing off to the next one. It reminded me of the way I have to run in order to keep up with my Dad while grocery shopping.

The guy had boundless energy. I was really glad that I had decided to drink coffee that morning. Mr. Sakamoto paid for our food and for our train tickets. I was relieved when we stopped to have chicken katsu. Over lunch Mr. Sakamoto told me that his hobby is mountain climbing. He has climbed Mt. Everest twice, once when he was twenty years old and once when he was forty, and he intends to do so again when he turns sixty. He was eager to practice his English with me, and constantly apologized for his supposedly poor pronunciation and grammar, explaining that he had only learned English from tapes. His English was quite understandable though, and he had a great sense of humor.

When we emerged from a subway exit, I saw this building and couldn't help but point and laugh:

Mr. Sakamoto laughed too and said in English, "Looks like sit!" (That's exactly what he said.) That made me laugh even more because it does indeed look like sit, doesn't it?

After a whirlwind tour of Akihabara, and electronics district, we went to the Edo Museum, which was extremely interesting. It covered the history of Tokyo from its beginnings to the modern age. There were many beautiful models of the way the city used to be arranged and the palaces that used to exist there. They even had a small model of a kabuki stage, with mechanical dolls moving around on it so you could see how trapdoors and revolving stages were used during kabuki performances.

If you're wondering what that balloon thing is, that is a replica of a fire balloon. During WWII, the Japanese designed these balloons with bombs hanging from them to float in an airstream from Japan to America. Yes, they were attempting to bomb America. According to Wikipedia:

"From late 1944 until early 1945, the Japanese launched over 9,000 of these fire balloons, of which 300 were found or observed in the U.S. Despite the high hopes of their designers, the balloons were relatively ineffective as weapons, causing only six deaths and a small amount of damage, and they survive in memory mostly as an ingenious and dangerous curiosity."

The WWII section of the museum was especially fascinating. Below were some pictures I took for my grandpa, a machine gun from a B29 plane.

After that he took me to another outdoor museum which isn't really interesting enough to write about. At a cafe afterwards I ordered another coffee.

At the end of the day, Mr. Sakamoto and I met his wife and Pearl's mom at a restaurant. "This restaurant is known for it's local specialties," Mr. Sakamoto said. Since we were near the bay, I knew what that meant: more mystery seafood. Hooray. At the restaurant we sat on the tatami-mat floor, putting our legs in a hole beneath the table. The table was more of a cooking surface, and the center heated up to cook okonamiyaki on. (They're kind of like pancakes.) The dynamics between Mr. Sakamoto and his wife were interesting. He teased her a lot about bullying him around, but she just rolled her eyes and laughed. As an appetizer they set before me a cup of umeboshi (pickled plum) sake and a small bowl of translucent, worm-like fish, their little black eyeballs staring up at me blankly.

My favorite.



Actually the sake was quite tasty. I knew this meal wasn't cheap, and that is was local delicacies, so as usual I struggled through the various slices of raw who-knows-what. Observing that I wasn't exactly scarfing down food, the Sakamotos felt sorry for me and surprised me by ordering a large ice cream sundae. It was delicious, and I felt bad that I hadn't managed to be more grateful for the food.

So that was my day, pretty much.

4 comments:

Doug said...

This sounds like a fun day! I really like your black outfit, you look like an anime superhero of some kind. And those transparent fish look like vegetables...those long tubey things...did they taste like vegetables?

Kelley said...

No, they tasted pretty much like any other raw fish; if you've ever had sashimi sushi you'll know what they tasted like.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.