Thursday, October 25, 2007

A class I look forward to

The bright spot of my Mondays is shodo, calligraphy class. I love the way the ink smells and watching the teacher paint examples for us. When she writes the kanji, her brush glides over the paper like a dancer, applying more or less pressure where appropriate, lifting off smoothly, going around each curve perfectly. It's really something to see. After she finishes an example a groan of despair will rise up from all the students because it's just so darn perfect.
Trying to imitate the teacher's example can be frustrating, but I find that I can focus in calligraphy class like nowhere else. For an hour and a half my classmates and I write the same character over and over and over again and submit our best copy. Some people find it boring but the time flies by for me. The teacher doesn't even seem to mind if I listen to my iPod while writing. Since the teacher doesn't return the copies we submit, I take my second-best copies home and hang them on my bedroom wall. Even though they're not very good, my walls need some decorating. If you're interested...the earliest one is on the right and the latest one is on the left.

Because of calligraphy class, I actually prefer Mondays to Fridays. Pretty crazy, huh?

6 comments:

Appendage said...

The artful, elegant characters remind me of someone pouring water on a burning dog from a high tower.

Jasson McMorris said...

I dont think that I can beat that...

Kelley said...

Wouldn't you rather parse than do anything?

Appendage said...

Please don't relegate me to some faraway lee.

Anonymous said...

Ohh Kelley! It's so cool that you enjoy calligraphy. You know what, I do love it too!! I really understand what you wrote; time flies while doing calligraphy. I have a lesson once a week (not at nanzan), and I can't wait the day every week. We'll have an exhibition in Dec, so I'll show you my work when I finish. I'm happy to finally find a calligraphy friend, because no one in my age is really interested. I never thought it would be an american girl though.lol

Robert Birnie said...

I think your good drawing abilities help. I couldn't do that after a full semester of class...
Btw, I love the smily faced one!