Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I was so excited when I could see Japan out of the airplane window. Finally! I've been studying this country for years, now I'm finally here. I giggled and bounced up and down in my seat, to the amusement of the guy sitting next to me, who had been to Japan one too many times. When I came to the center of the Nagoya airport, I looked around at all the Japanese signs and Japanese people and just stood there and soaked it up, grinning.
But I knew today wasn't going to be a walk in the park. No sir, this was the first episode of Survivor: Japan, the first challenge being to get to my hotel. A lot of things could have gone wrong today, but the kindness of strangers got me through. First there was the taxi driver who used his personal cell phone to call my university and find out why there wasn't a taxi waiting for me like there should have been.
"You're an exchange student?" He said in English.
"Yes."
"You're so young. Two years ago my daughter studied in America." He smiled. After getting off the phone he informed me that I was going to have to take the train.
Crap.
I approached the monster that is the Japanese transportation system. Its red eyes gleamed at me. The hundred timetables and maps and signs I couldn't read closed in around me. We circled around each other slowly.
It is not fear that grips her.
Only a hightened sense of things.
Having no idea where to go, once again I asked strangers for help and as I stuttered in Japanese, they stuttered in English and we both pointed at trains a lot. Somehow I got the information I needed, and after an hour arrived at the correct station. As I stood in the middle of the station, wondering how I was going to get to my hotel from here, a young man approached me.
"Do you need help?" he said. I guess I must have looked pretty out-of-place.
"Yeah, actually. I'm trying to get to this address." The man told me that it was nearby, but much too far for me to walk with my heavy luggage. I was going to need a taxi, and they were right up the stairs.
"Thanks a bunch! By the way, your English is really good." I said, sincerely.
"It ought to be, I studied in Missouri for five years!" He said.
So to the taxis I go. The driver didn't speak English but, like everyone else I had met so far, was very friendly. He pointed out to me the new Toyota building, which is an insanely tall skyscraper. Toyota is located in this city. I arrived at my hotel about five minutes later. I paid the driver and he gave me change, counting each coin carefully and telling me how much it was worth.
My hotel room is clean and simple and about the size of an index card. But hey, it has air conditioning (it is SO humid here), a bathtub, internet access, and a very comfy bed. After barely sleeping on the plane and having so many adventures today, I'm just happy to have a place to sleep.
To anyone who has been praying for me: thank you so much. A million things could have easily gone wrong today, but they didn't. I believe that your prayers are what made today go so smoothly. God is taking good care of me.

Here's my hotel room. Think this is small? You should see my bathroom.

A picture of the hallway, to give you an idea of how close together the rooms are:

2 comments:

Appendage said...

The Japanese transportation system begins to circle the girl. Wheels of black steel- subway tunnels like portholes into the dark night ... Headlights glowing like jewels from the pit of hell itself. The giant system sniffing... savouring the scent of the tasty American snack to come. It is not fear that grips her... only a heightened sense of things. Smoggy air in her lungs... a foreign sunset heralding the coming night. Her voice steady... her syntax perfect...her accent really cute.

Jasson McMorris said...

Yay!!!